Pages

Sunday 12 June 2011

Many Happy Returns, Your Majesty.



It is always great to see the pomp and ceremony of the Queen’s birthday parade, it’s something that you just do  not find in any other country.  I was lucky enough to be part of similar ceremonial duties, way back in the early eighties, when I was a member of the RAF’s Queen’s Colour Squadron.  During that time I was involved in the Royal Tournament at Earls Court, Remembrance Parades and shows at the Albert Hall and Public Duties at both Buckingham Palace and St James's (see pic left).  I always felt a ‘buzz’ at such events and the hairs on the back of my neck would stand up at the sound of the first few beats of a military march being struck-up by the band or when the reviewing member of royalty walked past inspecting the rank and file.



Like the Queen, I was also celebrating my birthday yesterday, but without the parade.  It was so great to have all of my family in one place and, even though it was to mark the first half-century of my life (and that makes me feel sooooo old saying that), I realise just how much I have to be thankful for in this world.
Also like the Queen, yesterday was not my actual birthday, rather an official celebration before the event.  The actual day is on Wednesday...........the big five-oh!  Where did the last fifty years go???






This was me on my first birthday..........not much has changed really!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for supporting my blog and for your comment/message.