Pages

Wednesday 7 August 2013

Malahide to South Point (nr Portaferry)

Look closely at this photo and you will notice a rainbow over Brown Eyes.


After a great week exploring the area around Dublin with Anita, it was time to move on and complete the next part of the UK circumnavigation.  It was high tide just after midday at Malahide and this was the best time of the day to leave the marina and negotiate the very narrow entrance channel leading back out to the Irish Sea.
Lighthouse of the day.
There was a reasonable wind and I was able to sail the first half of the journey, later resorting to some motor-sailing. Despite this, I fell a little behind my planned schedule which wasn't helped by having to weave my way through a fleet of fishing vessels and it soon became apparent that I would be arriving at my intended anchorage after the sun had set.

This is one of my favourite shots of the day.
When I did finally arrive I found that the cove I had chosen was not as sheltered as I had expected so I decided to push on a little further.  Again, my alternative destination was also open to the waves and the onshore breeze.......so I pushed on again, finally arriving at a sheltered anchorage around 2 in the morning.

The day's final route.
By the time I had put Brown Eyes to bed and grabbed a hot drink it was 3 o’clock and I was very tired.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for supporting my blog and for your comment/message.