Pages

Tuesday 27 August 2013

Peterhead to Holy Island.....

Departing Peterhead
The title of this blog entry was meant to read "Peterhead to Isle of May", but things didn't quite work out to plan.
Lighthouse of the day.
 I had departed Peterhead early and was determined to put some miles in and get away from this part of Scotland that seems prone to fog.
Note the fog building up....
Behind you....
 And then the fog arrived and that doesn't make good photos or relaxed sailing.
It was busy out there.
The fog came and went throughout the day and night and each time I switched my radar on to ensure I had enough warning of anything else out there.  Only once was I taken by surprise, as a fishing boat passed within 100m of me, going the other way.
 I arrived at the Isle of May at first light and went to the leeward shore to be sheltered from the wind, unfortunately the swell in the cove was far too large for comfort and I decided not to risk anchoring in such conditions, especially after my experience at Loch Eriboll.
Some old and tired bloke. 
The fishermen were out early
 So I pushed on to Holy Island after consulting the charts and almanac, arriving there at midday.  I had been sailing for 29 hours and had cover over 120 miles.
Gannets
Sunrise

Note the fish
      
It wasn't me!
The welcoming committee at Holy Island
My view from Brown Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for supporting my blog and for your comment/message.