Pages

Wednesday 14 August 2013

Tobermory to Mallaig....

Just outside Tobermory.
A reasonably short sail today, as tomorrow I plan to sail through Loch Alsh, the gap between the Isle of Skye and the mainland.  Part of the route passes through Kyle Reah where the current can run at 7Kts, so if I catch this at the wrong time I could be going backwards!

I left Tobermory after breakfast and had one of my best days sailing, keeping up a decent speed and not having to switch the engine back on until I reached this evenings harbour of Mallaig.  
Spotters.
Lighthouse of the day.

The mountainous views along the way were stunning and I saw dolphins leaping out of the water on several occasions.

This is the life!
Destination Mallaig...
I had originally planned to anchor, but after a call to the Harbour Master I was informed “We don’t do that here” and was directed to the man in charge of the few buoys that are available.  The almanac obviously needs updating.

An early start tomorrow to catch the tide flowing in the right direction at 0726hr (yes tide times are that precise, but not always accurate) and hopefully I will reach the Skye Bridge in good time and start heading north.
Todays route.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for supporting my blog and for your comment/message.